photo: Luis Escobar

Friday, April 15, 2011

Thoughts on Miwok

Is running long distances scary?  Well, I guess it's all relative.  When I signed up for my first 10K I thought it was a long way...blah blah blah!  Who gives a crap about that.  On another note...The thought of covering a new distance brings about new fears and questions about whether my body is ready to do such a thing.  62 miles in one day.  For some it doesn't even get real until after 80 miles.  Tony Krupicka even said, "anyone can run 30, 50 or 60 miles, its when you get to one hundred...."  Maybe he's right.  I have run in quite a few places in my young trail running career and each person I manage to have a conversation with answers THE question the same way.  What's THE question???  What does it take to make through a 50 miler or a one hundred mile foot race?  The response boils the race down to an eating, hydrating and electrolyte balance contest.  Really?!? Yes really.  The human body can endure just about anything for any length of time providing it is properly nourished.  Not entirely true.  The body also needs to move at a comfortable speed (pace) or it will break down.  So...pace, food, water, electrolytes.  Got it!  Now go out and figure out what you need at mile 50 when you have only run 40.  Better yet, what is your stomach going to say to you if you try to feed it Gu for 15 hours.  How do you figure a pace to cover 62 miles.  I once ran a 5K in 19:21.  So does that mean that I will be finishing the 62 in less than 7 hours? No! That'd be very cool, just isn't going to happen.  Back to food.  Luckily I have been trying some other things while running, like pb&j, animal crackers, apple pie, burritos, sun chips, pancakes, jolly ranchers and my favorite..chicken noodle soop!  So now I have to get some palatable  protien in the mix.  I have been suggested Boost.  We'll see about that one.  I guess you can say I have a lot to think about.

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation.  So when some one tells me good luck for my upcoming "race" I can either respond, 'Thanks' or 'yeah, I am going to need it.' Which translates to, 'I am not sure if I am prepared for this.'  Thanks would mean that I have it figured out and come the morning of May 6th I will have a plan in place that I am ready to stick to...Any suggestions?  Just don't say good luck.

Today is Tuesday, April 12th that leaves me 24 days until Miwok 100K.  This also means that I have only this upcoming weekend and the next (Easter weekend) to get in sufficient long runs before I have to start tapering.  I kinda like my chances for finishing.  50K races in March and April and several successive weekends with good long runs.  Lots of good cross training.  I am ready.  Good thing too because time is runnig short...Ha! I made a pun.

Wed, 23 days...another good pool workout today after 10 hours of work.  I still don't think I am ready to run yet.  I'll find out on Friday. Maybe tomorrow.  I don't know.  I felt a lot better, my left calf is tight.  Whatever.  Time to go.

Thursday...another day of it.  Work can get on yer nerves.  Not today!!! I got to work met with football coaches, called a parent the went and had an awesome workout in the pool with my consistent acl rehab buddy Dave.  We worked for an hour straight.  He of course did more because I have to time during the sprints.  I did find my legs were still a little sore and so todays run will be short.  Shorter than I wanted it to be.  Work for the rest of the day was just work...a four letter word.  After, I set out for a shortie shortie.  Four miles was it.  At a recovery pace.  Ready for more....except my left calf is STILL fucking buggin me.  What do I have to do?  REally, I will take any suggestions at this point.  I have tried, stretching, 2-3 x/day at 2x20 to 30 seconds each, ice, massage, rest, exercise easy, TP therapy, rolling, hot rub, fish oil.  If any one wants to throw a suggestion in the hat, I am game.  no acupuncture. 

I have two long run days before Miwok.  I have to be right this weekend and next.  Then I am on my own.

Confidence is a daily grind.  One day I think myself into the tank and the next I am jumping over it.  Can I finish Miwok? Yes! Will it be the time I want, probably not.  Why?  First time on course and first time at this distance.  Having to observe a game plan and sticking to it for 13 hours or so is not an easy task.  If I can pay attention for 13 hours.......I'm good!

No comments:

Post a Comment