photo: Luis Escobar

Monday, April 4, 2011

Rinconada and Big/Little Falls Trails

I am getting used to getting up early to run.  The routine is set so when I get up the ball rolls and life is good.  Compared to last year, this year I am driving farther, running earlier and farther but getting done sooner and feeling better post run.  So...life is good!

Big group this time.  Thomas had a couple of friend visiting from the Bay Area this weekend which added two more onto a growing Saturday run group.  I think twelve of us started up the trail at 6:40am.  Well Scott and Kristen arrived at 5am or so and put in an extra 4 before the rest of the group showed.  The sun was coming up and lit up the trail enough to make it easy to see.  The first mile or so of the trail is up.  Like last week I was huffin and puffin and wondering if today was going to be another bad day.  F that! I got over it quick and spent the time with Thomas talking about Miwok strategies and getting my mind set right for that.  It turned out to be a great distractor.  We joined the rest of the group at the top of the Little Falls Trail and stashed our water and food for the day.  Off we went.

We were on a fireroad for the first little 15 or twenty minutes.  Then we dropped into some of the funnest single track.  Honestly, at the time I didn't know it, but this part of the trail going to big falls actually made my day.  It was fast with a lot of turns working your way down an open meadow and slowly moving toward an oak canopy that kept the trail shaded.  Since we received so much rain this year the grass was tall and covered much of the 'less traveled' trail.  The rain also kept the tributary cricks flowing which to made the trail running wet but fun.  Soon we came up to Big Falls.  Just like I remembered it.  Big with a nice little beach type area.  We stopped for about five minutes and picked up one more person, took some pictures and then vamanos!


The trail from the falls to the trail head was fast.  It was also littered with newts.  A bunch, like every two or three steps you would have to miss step to avoid mushing one.  I regret not getting a photo of one.  Some newts were not so fortunate! Lots of people moving fast with lots of newts crossing the trail...mush! Poor little guy...This was the begining of the serious creek crossings.  Deep, long and the trail moved up and down along the path of the creek.  I actually caught myself laughing outloud on this part it was so much fun.  The trail eventually dumped us out on a part of Hi Mountain Road or something like that.  I don't know maybe I should ask Scott.  We regrouped at the road and made our way through the canyon we just dropped into.  I knew I was one of the slowest peoples there so I started out just before everyone else.  Luckily they kept it somewhat moderate along this section.  More creek crossings! I got into a conversation with Dusty about cross training and mileage and stuff like that.  We go started by Dusty telling me he gained 7 pounds in a couple weeks when his training dropped off.  Turns out Dusty is like me.  We eat what ever the heck we want and just run the calories off.  He must eat like a friken pig because he logs 70-80 mile weeks.  Too Much Running...for me...right now.  One of us got distracted and soon Scott and I were side by side.  Left Turn!

There she was...all covered in grass...deceptively laying there all calm and mellow...Little Falls Trail head.  Boy Oh Boy is this great!  So this is the much anticipated and talked about climb back up to where we started??? JOY!  Scott is a frequent flyer in this neighborhood.  In anticipation of getting caught by everyone we left ealier.  We hiked, we ran, we hiked we ran.  Gentle climbs leading to steeper ones leading to...more creek crossings!  Awesome, and at this point the amount of water was really irrelevant.  What mattered was how many pebbles got into your shoes.  That didn't really matter either.  What we were doing is following a creek up the hill.  So we were moving into another canyon and so the trail was very similar to the last.  Well for the first part.  The creek crossings eventually stopped about half way up.  The oaks gave way to mansenita and other shrubs and we were exposed.  Well, it was mostly overcast at this point so the day was still cool.  I do remember at the begining of the run looking down on the marine layer.  What that means is, we have to climb thorugh it and when we're through it, we still have moe to climb.  It is what it is.  The trail started to get steeper and I thought it best not to stay with Scott.  He's a beast with climbing.  Just too fast for me.  So I told him I found my pace and I would see him at the top.  No one passed us up to this point.  I kept him in my sights for the most part but he slowly moved away.  Then I could hear voices.  Had to be Thomas...he's a freek.  He makes running uphill look so easy you're tempted to stay with him...HA!  HAHAHA, that's a good one.  I kept going.  Tada, the top, turned around and stopped to take a picture of Thomas and Brett running up.  Yea! they ran it. 




We regrouped at the top.  Filled bottles, packs, got some food.  Had Erik make fun of me, twice, in a minute.  It was actually funny and true so I had to laugh.  No I don't remember what he said, just that it was true.   Scott and I started out and we were about 100 yards down the little hill when I noticed I forgot my hat.  Back I went.  Turned around and instead of first I batted clean up.  Who cares I ended up getting some better photos of the meadow I loved so much.

 The group mostly stayed together, but the further the run went on the further the separation.  By the time we made it to big falls I was in a groove again and this was funnerer and fasterer.  We were cooking along but feeling good.  Seriously this was the fastest trail I have ever been on.  I got in with Larissa and we made our way through the Big Falls Trail.  Not as many newts this time.  When we hit the trail head nobody was there.  Cool, everyone was feeling it to.  We chatted and made our way to the little falls trail.  There, everyone was waiting.  As soon as we pulled up Erik, Dusty and Heeva took off and I think Scott left a little earlier.  Brett and Thomas stayed back for Kristen and so Larissa and I started our second session with the climb.



 Larissa took the front and stayed there.  She moved...quick and smooth.  At every creek crossing she ran out, I would hike it as fast as I could and eventually close ground in the mid sections.  We kept moving forward.  I couldn't help but think that not only is the pace faster this time but we took less breaks.  I didn't seem to be feeling it too bad and I kept reminding myself to stay within myself and if Larissa picks up and scoots...bye.  Well, she did, sort of.  The same spot Scott took off on me before, she did too.  I had everyone in my sights so I wasn't too far back.  Thomas and Brett ran by me at the same section and moved up the steeper part like they did last time.  Scott and Heeva slowed a bit and Erik and Dusty moved steady.  Larissa paired up with Scott for the last bit, I caught up to Heeva and we all  finished within a few minutes of eachother.  So there we were.  All I could say is that was Awesome!!!

Totally brain dead.  I couldn't really put a complete sentence together.  We gathered up and left.  Like the way out, the way back was spent with Thomas talking about the SLO Trail Runners Race next year.  Planning on a 50K and 100K.  In this area it would be friken gnarlly.  Can't wait!

Take Home:
1- Stay within yourself.  It is tempting to mash it early, just realize long runs or races 50K + leave a lot of room for melt downs.
2- I got my food right this time.  Find what is right for you and stick with it.
3- Water and electrolytes are so crucial.  I noticed Brett and Thomas carried a (that's one) bottle.  I carried 70 ounces (pack and bottle) for the same distance.  I didn't drink it all but I would rather have it than not
4- Most important...Have fun.  This is fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment