photo: Luis Escobar

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Miwok prep week

Since Skyline to the Sea on April 10th I haven't had a really good week of running.  And to top it off, last week was a big goose egg.  That's right, zero miles.  First whole week off since I started running five years ago.  So, I was bummed and Thursday night I was ready to call off Miwok all together.  I just couldn't shake this calf problem that has plagued me inconsistently since New Years Eve.  Despite my overall lack of miles I have been able to improve my running times and general 'feel' for running.  I pr'ed Way Too Cool by an hour.  So my confidence was high and then was slowly chipped at during April, culminating last Thursday with conceding a much anticipated race.  All stories have a happy ending.  Lets hope this one does on May 7th.

The turn around happened on Friday April 29 when I went to see Scott, a running friend and chiropractor.  We had been hashing at the 'calf thing' for a few weeks and it finally dawned on both of us (mostly him) that my calf was having problems functioning like I want it to because my ant. tib was acting like a selfish A-hole.  In other words, the anterior tibialis, must work with, not against, my gastroc soleus or talo-crural complex.  Think of all joints working like a mrianette.  Meaning there is a push and pull, or agonist antagonist.  They have to work together or one is gona take a shit!  Well, my calf did.

Fast forwar to Sunday.  I ran 6 and felt good. No calf problems.  Two more days and we are at Tuesday morning at Cal Poly track at 5:50am.  This is the mornig to see if I can really handle mountain running.  Thomas kindly offered to take me on an easy final run before the race.  How can I resist?  So at 6 we met up and off we went.  Off we ran into Poly Canyon.  Service road, no problem.  Past the farm and through the gate, through another gate and up a little bump...again no problem.  Admittedly,  a small reminder lingered in my lateral soleus.  No big, no pain, just a small reminder.  We kept a steady, albeit slow pace goin up the steeper part and walked one of the steeper parts.  At the top I felt good and ready for more.  We headed back.  I'm in!

Wednesday I had a nice little hour of fun in the pool.  I wouldn't even call it a workout.  I did move and got my heart rate up a little but not for any extended period of time.  When my quads started burning I would shut it down or slow it down.  I saw Scott for one last adjustment.

Thursday I saw Hannah.  She did some trigger point work and some myofacial work and some of her own methods.  You can call it what you want, it is effective and it feels good.!  Now it is time to pack my stuff up and get ready to roll. 

Friday is travel and Saturday will take care of itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment