photo: Luis Escobar

Sunday, March 27, 2011

March 21 - March 27

Monday
This week is set to be a great week.  Runs are planned, pool time and other cross training scheduled and Cal Poly is on spring break...slam dunk.  Off work at 12:30pm and out the door.  The ground is soft from the massive amount of rain San Luis Obispo has received in the last 72 hours but still manageable for a quick pace.  Hitting the one mile mark, thoughts of the dirt road out to second farm and beyond grabbed my attention.  What a perfect time for running.  The rain stopped about half an hour ago, the sun was out and keeping the temperature comfortable and everything was going smoothly.  Cramp...SERIOUSLY???!!!? Yes...seriously, so many expletives entered my head.  This cannot happen again.  Lesson learned, I turned around a walked back. 
Schedules change, plans get detoured.

Tuesday:
Calf hurts, forced to cross train. Original plan: 10 with 6 mile tempo.

Wednesday:
I thought today would be a better day for the calf.  It isn't, so I am back to my wifes video library of home workout videos.  I lent my INSANITY vids to Paul so unfortunately that option is out of the question.  Today I was supposed to have a longinsh (14-16) run up shooters to morning glory.  Great run with decent climbing.  Screwed.  Today I am second guessing my ability to cover 62 miles.  Confidence is low when miles are growing increasingly difficult to put in.  I needed a 50 to 60 mile week.  Now I am going to struggle for 40.  I can always say, "well there is always next week," except that would be stoopid.  I have to get going now.

Thursday:
Startling revolation:  Miwok is in 44 days.  Skyline to the Sea in 17.  I am OK with SttS.  For Miwok I need to atleast have solid long runs each weekend followed by a easier long run to make this work.  So the revolation is, I need to stress my body or I am gona shit at Miwok.  I need to see if my body can deal with it so despite the weather a run had to be done.  7:30pm, blowing rain, dark and out the door for a shorty.  6 miles later, soaked and cold I walked through the door.  My calf hurt a little,enough to finally throw in the towel.  Tomorrow a visit to a massage therapist is in order.

Friday:
Great idea! Massage therapy is the SHIT! Should have done this a long time ago.  Now we'll see how the run goes tomorrow.

Saturday:
19 miles 4000' of vert. Montana de Oro.  Tour de Oro.  8 of us in the rager parking lot at 6:30am.  Good Times!  Even if the end resulted in my adducters locking up 2 miles from the car, the entire experience proved a worthwhile experience.
Light rain, a mild temperature and an off shore breaze ushered us off for our Saturday run.  6:40 was a good start time.  By 6:44 I knew it was going to be a long day.  Going up a small incline my breathing was really labored and I couldn't keep a conversation.  Too late, we were heading up to Hazard Peak.  3 miles up hill on a gentle and runnable slope.  At the top we regrouped and Thomas took some photos.  The way down the backside toward Manzanita trail was relaxing and easy.  A few spots along the well groomed single track were washed out and so muddy shoes were on tap.  On a day like today, muddy shoes were going to happen whether you like it or not.  Wet feet, muddy shoes, wet everything.  The group kept moving and time ticked by pretty fast.  Down and then back up Manzanita.  First time on that trail, it's a winner, going to be doing it again next time I head out to MdO.  Soon we were on our way back up Hazard trail and then cruized back to the car. 
I changed my shirt, filled my pack and the we were back on the trail.  We headed out Bluff trail and then connected up with Coon Creek.  I folllowed Heeva and Erik toward Oats Peek trail and the pace was pretty steady.  Luckily it was only two or so miles out.  I ended up talking to Erik about all kinds of good stuff.  Mostly I asked him about his 5 Western States finishes (4 sub 24) and shoes and training.  He is very gracious with information.  Pretty much an all around good guy.  At the Oats Peek trail head I went on full knowing that it was going to be a struggle and everyone would be leaving me like a ten beer piss.  Five minutes up Heeva passed and less than two minutes later Thomas cruised by like I was standing still.  Erik and Scott hung around for another few minutes and then they were gone too.  All alone heading up Oats.  I struggled even though I kept moving it wasn't as easy as I thought it should be.  Never is.  I finally made it to the top, strong breeze and rain greeted me with a big grin and a helpful little push to get gong down.  Before the run I had put a 1/4" heel lift in my left shoe to help ease the stress on my calf.  The wedge mushed over to the outside and folded over and I kept hitting it with my heel.  This was buggin' the shit out of me and I guess I was more intersted in reaching the bottom because that is where my shoe was relieved of this stoopid idea! So my left foot hurts and heading down Oats my left quad/adductor started locking up.  F-Me! Seriously this kinda crap happens only when I plan on having a great day.  The way down was a combo of run walk run walk stop.  No big.  I made it back and everyone else was still out mashing up more miles.  What a friken d-bag today.  In the end it was still a good run, can't all be great.

Take Home:
1-I took the Montrail Rogue Racers out today.  When they get wet and my socks are wet there is too much room in the toebox for my socks.  They slipped.  Other than that they worked great and now have over 6 hours on them with only two outings.
2-I need to figure how to use S-Caps again.  Nuun isn't going to do it for electrolyte replacement. 
3-When I go out for runs 90 minutes or longer I have to plan for food and water along the way.  The four hours of running I consumed only 380 calories.  Not going to do it.  This run was destined for shit.  Need to put Boost or someother old fart drink into my running diet.
4-The body work...great idea.  Worth the money and time.  I will definitely be doing this again before SttS and Miwok.  On that same note it is time to see a chiropractor to get myself set right.

Sunday March 27.  My 44th Birthday
What to do what to do?!!!?  Go Run?!? OK
Headed out to Irish Hills for a little 2 hour fun time.  Good stuff.  Ran every trail, took some awesome birthday photos and left.  In short I had a great run.  Legs were good and the calf cooperated.  I could feel it a little on the downhills but other than that it went along without a peep.  Ended an otherwise crappy week with a great wekend of running.  30 miles in two days.

Take Home:  Don't let your brain get in the way of you having a good run!  Seriously!

1 comment:

  1. Keep an eye on that calf, Jim! That's a lot learned in just 1 week's worth of training. I am still learning so much just as you are and I look forward to following your progression through the season. Good work on Saturday in MdO and get those S!Caps down!!!
    --Heevs

    ReplyDelete