photo: Luis Escobar

Monday, March 7, 2011

Looking forward to Way Too Cool

March 7, 2011
When I got into Way Too Cool this year I started formulating a recipie for a stellar year...I had it all planned out.  A week later I found out I also got into Miwok 100K...bonus!!!  My aspirations for a good year couldn't have been higher.  So in the middle of December I started mapping out my run strategy.  I figured I would finish December with some easy runs of 90 minutes or less and January I would finish building my base.  December 31 I went out for and easy-ish 50 minute run. On the way out I thought it would be a great idea to pick up the pace to see how far I could go before I had to turn around.  So I picked it up for a touch more than 15 minutes.  At the turn around I decided to increase the intensity and do a few 3 minute pick ups to get back quicker.  At the end of the first one my calf started cramping...so I stopped, stretched it a little and then started trying to run.  NO FRIKEN WAY!!!  This was real pain...F-ME!!!  So I tried to slowly jog, nope not havin' it, walking even hurt.  It took me almost an hour to get back.  By then I was freezin' ass and my calf hurt so bad I couldn't walk normally.  For the next six weeks I was up and down with regular running.  If I timed it right I could get a decent longish (2h then 2.5 then 3, etc).  Mid week runs were not happening.  I did a lot of cross training.  This year took a turn for the worse and by the end of January I started thinking about dropping out of Miwok. 

On February 5th Luis Escobar hosted (see first post) a low key intro to his Ultra he is hosting in May.  So I went with reservations and tried to plan the run after a couple of days with no real exercise to speak of.  We went out on two 10 mile loops for 20 Miles over four hours...this is awesome.  Over it? Nope, close but no cigar, so I nursed it, got a massage, pool work out, lots of ice and lots of stretching.  Then, like some kinda friken miracle, at Montana de Oro on 2/13 my calf haunt was gone.  I had a solid run without problems. The next week, 18 miles with SLO Trail Runners and one midweek run.  The next week we did a similar run just harder with 5 total runs on the week.  That brings me to last week.  I finally had a great week of running.  Five solid days, one speed day a longer (15m) day, short hard day, off another longish day (14) and then an easy early run on Sunday.  About 50 miles. 

I am way behind where I thought I was going to be in the middle of December.  I can't really catch up.  I just have to change my goals for March 12th a little.  What I wanted to do was a sub 5 hour 50K at Way Too Cool.  Two years ago I ran 6 hours 22 minutes.  Realistically, this year I would like to take an hour off of that.  We'll see.

Goals for WTC:
Be smart, patient and finish strong.
Finish with a time under 5:22.
Awesome finish is 4:59 or better.
Not get hurt.
Ultimately, run a good race and feel good at the end.
Most importantly, I just wana have fun and go at it like an aging rock star.

No comments:

Post a Comment