photo: Luis Escobar

Monday, April 11, 2011

Skyline to the Sea - April 10

I was excited for this race like I was excited for Way Too Cool.  On one hand the prep hadn't been done and on the other it was similar to 2009.  One thing that has changed this year compared to last is the long run.  Since getting in with SLO Trail Runners my weekends now hold over 60% of my weekly miles.  We would get 18 to 24 on Saturday and on Sunday I would go out and get another 10 to 15 at a go by feel pace. During the week I would cross train another three to five hours.  Usually at a pretty good effort.  So the work is getting done, just differently.  Around 45 miles with "extras."  Regardless, the confidence has been lacking when I get to the start line.

On the day of the race everything followed the path of 2009.  Once again Dr. Tanaka shared the bus and once again he had to lay down on the curvy sections to avoid puking.  The start line was pretty close to being the same too.  50+ person line at the porta potty, people meandering around for 45 minutes before the race and sunny yet chilly weather. When the time came, the march to the sart line was erily similar.  OK not erie but similar.  The same group of La Sportiva people at the front with some other fast looking people.  Larissa Polischuk was there and so I said hi and talked to her for a minute or two.  Then I backed up several rows of people and moved to the side.  I new I wasn't going to finish with these guys so I figured I would let the fast go ahead without getting in their way.

A little past nine we were sent on our way.  At 20 minutes in my right calf started hurting.  I am a bitch sometimes but seriously, can't a brother catch a break?  I kept at it, shifting my foot strike every once in a while to keep my leg somewhat comfortable.  It worked well enough.  I went out too fast and at the first hour mark I felt tired.  Stooopid!  So I swollowed my pride and kissed a sub 5 hour 50K good bye.  The thought that stuck with me was what I wrote about last week, and that was, stay within myself.  Easier said than done.  Last week was an anomaly.  Even Larissa agreed that it was the most fun she has in a while.  For me the run was not only a confidence booster but just so much fun I can't wait to do it again!  The next hour or so flew by and most of it is a blur.  The running wasn't fast, I just can't really remember it.

Two and a half hours in and the Gazos Creek aid never looked so good.  I felt tired and almost wanted to continue on and just do the marathon.  What a sack!  Filled up the pack and went.  Some lady in spandex left right after me but decided to run up instead of hike.  I chose the later and made the pace as hard as tolerable.  There it is, the pace was as hard as tolerable again!!!  I guess I just can't not go at it that way.  Thomas' words kept ringing in my head, 'This isn't the race that matters, just go easy and have a nice long training run."  There must be a switch absent from my noggin that allows me to do that.  The loop from the aid station and back was 6 miles.  In my head I had to do it in an hour to keep on track.  On track for WAHT??!!!? Yeah, on track.  I left at 2:30 and got back at 3:24.  The loop included a nice single track  climb up to a ridgeline fireroad.  We were to follow the ridgeline up and down and up and up.  Then it started heading down again and there was my gift.  More downhill single track.  What fun!!! Here I caught uphill run girl and never saw here again or the others that passed me on the way up.  Back to the aid to fill it up one more time.  There, now my legs are sufficiently beat up with another 11 or so to go.  Swell.  To get out of Big Basin you have to climb, not a lot but just enough to remind you that the course still had 3000' of elevation gain even though the loss was 5000'.  Honestly the downhill claimed more people than the up hill. 

At the top, or at the end of the last climb, the last gift that layed out infront of you was a pine covered single track wet dream heading down a mountain in switchbacks and through a natural drainage.  It was fast and soon you were running creekside.  An undulating trail sided by ferns and poison oak along with coastal pines and shrubs to the left and a swollen creek to the right.  Here is where I found my groove.  I fell into a solid pace and just went...within my self.  I passed a few people along the way but also got passed, by one or two.  This section went really fast.  At the final creek crossing,  there stood a guy saying, "three miles to the next aid, five to finish."  Shit! I wanted to be done now.  This next part stuck in my mind as being a little boring.  It isn't, it is just a fire road back to the horse camp so comparitivly speaking to what was behind, the future just seemed a little boring.  This was a long road back.  I met up with a guy, who was passing me, and spoke with him for a few minutes before he continued on his way.  This made the time pass.  Every once in a while I would come around a turn and spot someone else a head of me.  This passed the time pretty good too.  Finally made it to the last aid station.  Cute gal, old guy.  She made me smile he filled my pack.  What a life this is.  They said less than two to go. Cool, the sign said 1.3 so they really weren't kidding.  Solid, found my groove again and finished this one painfree but the price had been payed already...tomorrow will be a sore day!!

Finished in 5:17, a new PR for me.  Larissa said hey to me at the finish, she is cool and that was a nice gesture.  We talked for a couple minutes as she got her quads worked on by one of the ART people.  Hmmm looks good.  A little body work is in order for me too!  I sat, I stood, I ate chili and soup and drank a coke and got some ART.  Then left....

Take Home:
When you have a race plan...stick to it.  5:17 is cool but I am sore.  31 miles is going to make you sore, but less sore if you run smart.

Do this race again at sub 5 in 2012 or 2013

no photos for this one, i forgot my camera and there wasn't a photographer on course...bummer

No comments:

Post a Comment